IBC, formerly International Business College, first began conducting business education classes in the Coles Building in downtown El Paso in June of 1898. The prosperity of the school allowed the founder, Mr. J.P. Mullin, to make several moves to larger facilities until the school was purchased by J.E. Gilkey and moved to the Raynolds Building in 1922. IBC was first accredited by the National Association of Commercial Schools in 1924. Mr. E. L. Schnadig, Jr., purchased the school in January 1966 and moved it to the Mills Building. LTV Educational System, a Dallas, Texas Corporation, purchased the college in 1970, and moved to the Central Campus location on Montana Avenue in December 1972. In January 1973, IBC, Inc., an El Paso, Texas Corporation, assumed ownership and management of IBC. Jerry D. Foster purchased the stock of the corporation on September 30, 1996; insuring continued local ownership of the school. In 2005, ownership of the school was transferred to the Foster Family Limited Partnership. In August 2011, International Business College changed its name to Franklin College. The School was sold to Innovative Education Solutions, LLC. Franklin College’s name was changed back to International Business College to identify its rich history in 2013.
IBC was nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) where it has been recognized as an Honor Roll school and is currently accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
IBC expanded greatly in the 1980’s opening branches in Las Cruces, Alamogordo, and Albuquerque, New Mexico as well as Lubbock, Texas. The IBC Auxiliary Campus was relocated to the El Paso Lower Valley in 1982 and the auxiliary campus in Northeast El Paso opened in 1985. In March 1985, with approval of the Computer Accounting and Computer Secretary programs by the Texas Education Agency, IBC moved further into the high technology area of education. Effective April, 1987, branch campuses were designated as “free standing” campuses.
In 1989, the Board of Directors of IBC elected to concentrate on its schools in El Paso, Texas, and to divest its holdings in other locations. From 1989 to 1993, the campuses in Lubbock, Texas, Las Cruces, Alamogordo and Albuquerque, New Mexico were sold or closed.
In June 1999 the Zaragosa Campus was moved to a new facility at 1155 N. Zaragosa, and in April 2003, the Montana Campus was moved to 5700 Cromo Drive, on El Paso’s west side.
In December 2003 the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools and the Texas Workforce Commission approved IBC’s first Associate of Applied Science in Business Management, which were offered at the Zaragosa campus. The Cromo campus was later approved to offer the Associate of Applied Science in Business Management program in August of 2007. In 2011 the School began offering the Associate degrees in Criminal Justice, Paralegal and Business Administration and Management. In February, 2015, IBC was approved as an accredited institution with the Council on Occupational Education. On June 29, 2016, IBC voluntarily withdrew its grant of accreditation from the Accrediting Council of Independent Colleges and Schools.